5 “Health Foods” That Are Terrible For You
The following products are marketed as “health foods” when in reality, they are better left alone!
- Energy bars – Most are loaded with sugars, refined grains, unfermented soy and bad oils. Zone and/or Balance Bars contain GMO soy and processed grains, Power Bars are loaded with sugar; Cliff Bars and Luna Bars rely heavily on soy, which is problematic for most people.
- Veggie burgers – Boca burgers, Morningstar, Amy’s Kitchen, and Trader Joe’s veggie burgers all contain hexane, an EPA-registered air pollutant and a neurotoxin. (Boca Burger’s organic soy burger is the only one that doesn’t contain hexane, but is problematic for other reasons!)
- Frozen yogurt – From Pinkberry, to TCBY, to Red Mango, frozen yogurt shops are popping up everywhere. They like to tout their probiotic-rich ingredients, but they also contain artificial flavors and colorings, GMO fillers like corn starch, and conventional milk (frequently laced with hormones.) Even Yoforia, that uses organic milk, contains GMOs.
- Multigrain bread – While the label may say “whole grain,” the sad reality is many contain mostly refined flour, not to mention chemical preservatives, GMOs, artificial flavorings, and high fructose corn syrup.
- Protein powder – Whether they’re made from soy, egg, or milk, most are processed at extremely high heat, which destroys the fragile protein and makes them harmful for human consumption. Soy, when chemically treated, is particularly harmful, as it can contain nitrates, lysinalanine and MSG.
Best to skip these “healthy” options and stick to real, unprocessed food!