8 Side Effects of Drinking Diet Soda
We knew diet soda was bad for us, but whoa, look at eight of the most recent known side effects.
- Kidney Problems. Researchers found that diet cola is associated with doubled risk for kidney decline.
- Messed-Up Metabolism. Even just one diet soda a day is linked to a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Obesity. A University of Texas study found that that more diet soda drank, the greater the risk of obesity.
- Worse Hangovers. Alcoholic drinks made with diet soda can make you drunker, faster, according to a study out of the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia.
- Cell Damage. Diet soda contains mold inhibitors that can cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria.
- Rotten Teeth. Diet soda is very acidic, with a pH of 3.2; this acid can dissolve tooth enamel.
- Reproductive Issues. Most soft cans are coated with BPAs, which are linked to reproductive problems.
- Increased diabetes risk. Drinking just 1 diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of diabetes in a University of Minnesota study.
Whew! Water never looked so good.